Garden Village Apartments
59,000 square feet
STOK SERVICES PROVIDED
- Rooftop Farm Sustainability Consulting & Project Management
- Energy Modeling
Garden Village is a student-oriented apartment and urban farming / green roof project located in the Southside neighborhood of Berkeley, California. With 18 building volumes situated around multiple courtyards, the 80-unit housing complex aims to establish a contemporary living community by allocating a percentage of its units to low-income residents and integrating sustainable building tactics throughout its design and construction.
Utilizing a factory-built housing approach, Garden Village’s modular building volumes were constructed off-site, reducing construction time, waste, and noise in the neighborhood. Pushing sustainability even further, 16 of the complex’s 18 green roofs sustain food-producing gardens. The farms will produce an estimated 16 tons of local, organic produce, and will also provide employment, educational, and community engagement opportunities.
stok was hired by Nautilus Group as a sustainability consultant and project manager for the rooftop farm implementation. With the architectural design of Stanley Saitowitz | Natoma Architects, Inc., as well as landscape architecture and farming from Design Ecology, Garden Village is setting a new standard for affordable housing and urban farming.
- Locally constructed factory-built housing system that minimizes construction transportation and waste
- Human-scale building layout that provides abundant daylight and natural ventilation
- Tenant gathering spaces provided at ground level and roof tops
- Walking-oriented development located near city center and community resources
- Use of on-site car-sharing hub and ample bike facilities that reduce neighborhood parking, traffic, and pollution
- High recycled content structural system
- Existing brownfield utilization
- Population diversity, including affordable housing
- Demolition materials reuse
- Undergrounded power lines and planted 13 new street trees that beautify the neighborhood